Thursday, April 2, 2020

What Shall We Do Now?

It is a time in our lives that most of us could hardly have imagined just a few months ago. Global pandemics have happened before, and if scientists who study these sorts of things are right, more will likely happen in the future.

I, of course, am writing this at my home, because I am working here instead of  where I usually do, in my office at the church. In some ways I am surprised by how difficult this time is for me. Not being able to see the people I usually connect with at least once a week and for some several times a week is distressing. A member of my congregation had major surgery yesterday, and I wasn't allowed to be there with her. Two weeks ago I officiated at a funeral for a member of the church at a graveside with nine people in attendance. When I do see the people from my church, people I love dearly, I cannot hug their necks or even shake their hands.

I have learned how to edit videos and work online conference calls. And I don't have any idea when this is going to end.

So I say to myself, what am I going to do now?

As I look around me at my congregation, and hearing from pastors and members of other congregations, I am incredibly encouraged. The church is still the church. We aren't meeting there right now, but we are still connected to one another. Our leaders are checking in on people who are homebound or at risk. Others from the congregation have been doing the same. I am proud of the way the church is staying connected, one to another, during this time.

I even think that in some ways we are closer to one another now than before.

And that is what the church is supposed to be. It was always supposed to be that way, friends caring for one another, making sure all others have what they need. If there is any in need, doing all we can to meet that need. The building where we meet as the church, beautiful as it is, is in the place where it belongs, secondary. It is the community of believers that is first. Relationship to one another and to shared faith outweighs any other concerns at this time. That is as it should be, and as it should have been.

God is able to make good things come from even the worst of circumstances. Scripture attests to this time and again. Out of this terrible circumstance, the Covid-19 outbreak, God is able to help us remember that foremost is our connection to one another, our love for each other, and our dedication to care for each other. It's not that it wasn't there before, but now that it is the primary thing we can do for each other, we are reminded that it should have been primary all along.

So, what shall we do now? Keep it up, church. Keep calling your friends and members of your community. Keep asking who needs what and then taking care of those needs as you can. Keep praying for all people throughout this crisis, and doing all you can while keeping yourself safe to let others know of the love you have for them. At its heart, this is what the church has always been. Now it is just more glaringly obvious.

I thank God for these communities doing what community does.

Blessings to you all. Be safe, and love one another.

Pastor Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment