Wednesday, February 10, 2021

What Can I Say?

In a conversation with my wife, Joy, last night, I realized something that I hadn't really thought of before. We were talking about people in the middle of the conversations about race and identity, and I told her that as much as I wanted to be a part of that conversation, I felt there wasn't much for me to say. I am what can fairly be described as a member of the dominant caste of our culture, white, cis-gendered, heterosexual. I am a member of the group that has been actively holding others back for the history of our nation. 

To be clear, I desire equality among people, and I support the efforts of those who are critical of the system that has upheld white men like myself as the upper caste. That's one of the reasons I have to ask the question above: What can I say? 

As we were talking about other voices in the conversation, Joy reminded me of Brené Brown who, while she is a well known voice in justice issues, is a white woman. Instead of being silent, she has used her platform to invite others into her space and speak on issues of racial justice.

My realization is, I can do that same thing.

My platform is a bit smaller, but that is the kind of work I want to do. I will not remain silent myself, but I prefer to offer any space I have for those who have been denied space in history. I have tried to do this with work for inclusion of the LGBTQ+ community in my own religious tradition, and I hope to be able to do so in work for racial reconciliation and other justice issues.

I recognize the irony in what I have written here, since it is clearly in my own voice, but I hope to devote posts in the future to giving voice to people who might otherwise not be heard. If you are someone who would like to share your story with me for this purpose, please contact me, and I would be glad to have a conversation about how your story can be shared to my small audience.

Keep the faith, and God bless those working for justice.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment